Historically the Cave of Adullam is the place where David spent the majority of his time hiding from King Saul (1 Sam 22:1). The Bible says that 400 men gathered unto David that were distressed, in debt and discontented; and David became their leader. When these men finally exited the Cave of Adullam, they were referred to as “David’s Mighty Men of Valor” and together they fought to establish and stabilize Israel.
Today, the Cave of Adullam is a Transformational Training Academy (CATTA) for comprehensive male development based in Detroit Michigan. Boys and young men who are emotionally distressed, mentally discontented and spiritually in debt, gather here to be trained and transformed into comprehensive men of God. Our mission is to transform uninitiated boys into a generation of men who are physically conscious, mentally astute and spiritually strong enough to navigate through the pressures of this world without succumbing to their negative emotions. We are able to accomplish this mission through the comprehensive physical, mental and emotional stability training system of Mūsar Rū, which translates “Discipline of the Spirit”.
Mūsar Rū amalgamates the spiritual precepts of the Bible, Shalach meditation and the combat principles of Aikijutsu, Brazilian Jiujitsu, Kempo, Shebet Tsaba and Combat Boxing. Through Mūsar Rū, boys and young men are introduced to the root of their unresolved anger, anxieties, lack of focus and fears, while being taught how to introspectively confront and conquer them with composure. Our mission is not to create martial artists, but men with martial hearts. So we focus on physically breaking the outer man (the flesh/stubborn will) to allow the inner man (the spirit) to move freely and rule the responses of the body and soul. We evaluate each student by the way they live their lives at school, at home and in their community, not a belt ranking system. We place a strong emphasis on biblical brotherhood, where each student focuses on sharpening and not surpassing each other. As a result, academically, 78% of our recruits improve their GPA without tutoring. 98% of parents report their sons have grown spiritually and became more stable emotionally since becoming a recruit in the CATTA. 56% of parents report a decrease in school suspensions and an increase in their sons making more advantageous decisions.
• Greater appreciation for the Bible – 2 Timothy 3:16-17
• Improved mental focus and emotional stability – 1 Peter 1:13
• Improved academic performance – 1 Corinthians 10:31
• Reduction/Elimination of Detentions/Suspensions – Titus 2:6
• Social behavior improvement with parents, teachers and classmates – Galatians 5:22
• Ability to resolve conflict – Proverbs 15:1
• The confidence to walk away from a fight (if possible) – Romans 12:17-18
• Greater Sense of Individual purpose & community responsibility – Psalm 82:3-5
• Improved physical fitness and endurance – 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
• Ability to make sound decisions regarding friendships and peer pressure – 1 Corinthians 15:33